Ways Pharmacy Benefit Managers are Helping Patients Access Vaccines
Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs) are helping patients access the COVID-19 vaccine by working with the entire prescription drug and payer chain to create real-time solutions. But as more vaccines and information become available, navigating it can be a challenge for patients eager to be vaccinated. Because PBMs have so much experience helping patients access prescription drugs, they’re a great resource for people with questions, concerns, or who just need help navigating it all.
Here are 7 ways PBMs are #OnYourRxSide, helping Americans access COVID-19 vaccines:
- Answering patients’ questions about the safety, efficacy, and side effects of authorized COVID-19 vaccines, including through national awareness campaigns and local community efforts to promote vaccine uptake, explaining the benefits of vaccines, and providing credible information and answers to common questions (like web videos and FAQs).
- Reviewing the latest information regarding authorized and in-development COVID-19 vaccines to support plan sponsor understanding and coverage, particularly in cases where a particular vaccine is recommended for certain populations.
- Surveying communities to understand vaccine hesitancy and related concerns to best support patient awareness and promote vaccination.
- Supporting the monitoring and reporting of vaccine-related adverse events.
- Helping people erroneously charged for the vaccine or its administration to get their money back.
- Alerting patients and providers of COVID-19 vaccine fraud schemes.
- Collaborating across the pharmaceutical supply and payment chain to trouble-shoot patient access issues in real-time working with pharmacies to address common billing errors and sharing recommendations with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to ensure Medicare beneficiaries aren’t turned away for bringing their Medicare Advantage insurance card rather than their Original Medicare card. PBMs know the importance of pharmacies remaining focused on providing patient care.
Read more about how PBMs are making a difference in the fight against COVID-19 here.
Stay up to date on your health care savings.
Get updates and more information on how PBMs are lowering your prescription drug costs and coordinating your health care by subscribing below.
Show you care!
Pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) are your advocates in the health care system, working to lower out-of-control prescription drug costs for patients across the country.